[TN-Bird] Ross's Geese at EBFH, Winter Wren at Norris Lake

  • From: Leigh Loveday <lkloveday@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-BIRD <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 06:17:10 -0800 (PST)

Friday evening we hustled to Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery to see the
Ross's Geese. They were handed to us on a silver platter,
sitting on the main gravel road about 50 yards away. Thanks Nell
for posting about this. They flew to the back corner (beautiful
in flight) and settled in for the evening. We also saw 15 Lesser
Scaup, 1 lonely Ringed neck, 1 Wood duck, a male and female
Belted Kingfisher, Red winged blackbirds, 11 Great Blue Herons
on 8 nests. 3 nests farther north were empty. The trees are
Sycamores as Nell correctly pointed out.

A quick jaunt to Norris Lake Songbird trail to hear owls at dusk
was productive. We heard 1 Eastern Screech Owl do its short
little bark/ yelp (we have been hearing the one pitch trill
coming from the ridge below our North Knoxville home). We saw
our first ever Winter Wren at Songbird trail, and heard it do
its alarm call. Jupiter and Saturn appeared first in the
southwest sky left of the crescent Moon as we departed. The
constellation Orion was brilliant last night, straight overhead
at 8 p.m.

Robert and Leigh Loveday
Knoxville, TN