[tn-bird] Roseate Spoonbill update (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 23:10:14 -0400

I arrived at Kinser Park at about 5:35 p.m. this evening and began by
scanning the area below the picnic pavilion about a quarter mile from
the boat ramp--no spoonbill.  I then proceeded toward the boat ramp.  As
I was getting out of the car, I met Tom Howe from Knoxville, who had
been looking for the bird for an hour or so--also without success.

Tom had had a bit of luck, though, in that he had talked to a fisherman
near Bird's Bridge (less than a mile upstream from Kinser Park) who had
seen the spoonbill on the river between 4:30 and 5:00.  After
unproductively searching the boat ramp area and nearby golf course
shoreline, Tom and I drove to the campground in the park and walked
through the woods to the river's edge.  We tried for 10-15 minutes but
had no luck.  Shortly thereafter, Tom had to leave for a commitment in
Knoxville.

After spending about 20 minutes in the campground attempting to tweezer
warblers out of trees lit by a dying sun buried behind gravy-thick
clouds, I returned to the boat ramp for a last look.  As I got out of
the car, I saw Linda Northrop and Katie Smith from Greeneville walking
onto the golf course with three people I didn't recognize.  I joined the
group and was introduced to Janice Chadwell, Cathy Jacobson, and Bonnie
Johnson from the Chattanooga chapter of TOS.

The six of us located the spoonbill at about the same instant.  It was
perched with seven Great Egrets in a tree along the shoreline across the
lake from the golf course.  As we watched, three other egrets joined the
group.  Altogether, we observed the spoonbill from about 6:50 to about
7:10.

This is the second time in two days that I have found the bird near the
boat ramp at sunset.  I suspect it is roosting in this area with egrets,
with which it seems comfortable--unlike Great Blue Herons, with which it
sometimes has seemed wary.

I know that dusk is an awkward time for out-of-town birders to plan to
be at Kinser, but anyone who can spare the time might be advised to give
it a try.  Similarly, dawn might be a good time, too.

Tom, Bonnie, Cathy, and Janice--it was good to meet you.

I think the spoonbill will hang around a little longer, at least, and I
hope lots of other birders get to see it.

Don Miller,
Greeneville, TN