[tn-bird] Roseate Spoonbill heading downriver to Cocke County.

  • From: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tenn Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:44:47 -0400

I found the immature Roseate Spoonbill from Kinser Park, last seen
Tuesday, quite a ways downriver on Sunday.
It was just of U.S. Highway 25E in Douglas Lake at the same location
Rick Knight posted on Tuesday as a site for a Lesser Black-backed Gull.
Cross into Cocke County on 25E, and just past the turnoff onto Rankin
Hill Road, that takes one to Rankin Bottoms, and just before the Dutch
Bottoms Baptist Church is an unmarked public lake access. The lake
bottom is solid enough to easily park on the gravel and walk to the old
Highway 25E out in the lake and scope the many Great Egrets and Great
Blue Herons from there. The spoonbill is pretty easily spotted.
When I saw him Tuesday at Kinser Park, it  was alone, and all the Great
Egrets it was consorting with had moved on. My guess is that the
Spoonbill and the Great Egret winter migration will follow the river
west and south, passing through Knoxville into the Tennessee River, and
then south to Chattanooga and into Alabama.
If it tarries long enough on the way, maybe it can hook up with the
Whooping Cranes when they arrive at Hiwassee and let the ultra-lite
guide the whole bunch to Florida.
Wouldn't that be cool?
BTW, I didn't see the Lesser Black-backed Gull.
James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN