[tn-bird] Roseate Spoonbill - YES!

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <dollyron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-BIRD" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:19:56 -0400

Tn-birders,
Since Don Miller thought the bird might be roosting in the same area each
night, my wife and I decided to try again for the Spoonbill. We found it this
time.

Directions: as you are standing at the Kinser Park boat ramp, looking straight
out into the water, there is a parking space in the trees to the right. You
walk through this space and there is a narrow path that goes over a very low
barbed wire and empties out onto the back side of the public golf course. Keep
walking straight for about 150 yards to the top of a grassy hill (this is
actually part of the fairway on one of the golf holes). You will be able to see
the backwater here with what looks like some duckweed floating on the surface.
We found the Spoonbill feeding in this shallow area about 6:30 p.m. (Thursday
evening). The water in this area goes even further back to the right and it all
looks to be fairly shallow, so if you don't find the bird here, keep to the
left side of the golf course walk a bit more to see more of the backwater.

I took a couple of digital photos. If anybody is interested in looking at it,
email me and I will attach it to an email to you.

Good luck and great birding to all.

Ron Hoff
Clinton, Tn.