[TN-Bird] "Roller pigeons"

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 06:15:58 -0800 (PST)

Okay, after my mention of seeing roller pigeons yesterday, I had a couple of
e-mails asking what roller pigeons are. Roller pigeons are basically a breed or
variety of domesticated Rock Pigeons that have been bred for their ability to
roll and tumble in the air while flying.They are sometimes called "spinners" as
well. There are several specific varieties, among them are Birmingham Rollers,
Galati Rollers, Oriental Rollers, and Parlor Rollers. Google the term roller
pigeon and you can find lots of information. Check out the videos of them on
YouTube for some pretty impressive examples of their rolling abilities in
flight. Here is a good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGwDOzpTcgs

Good birding,

Mark Greene