[TN-Bird] Richardson's Goose in Sevier County?

  • From: Kris_Johnson@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 07:25:27 -0400

A resident of Sevier County, Ray Cook, called me yesterday to report a
Richardson's Goose on his pond. This bird appeared among Canada geese about
two months ago, along with a couple of Ross' geese (these have since moved
on). He was unable to identify the goose with his Peterson's guide but
described it over the telephone to a TWRA biologist in Nashville who
consulted his Sibley guide and gave the ID of Richardson's goose. The TWRA
biologist told Mr. Cook the local bird club might be interested in seeing
this bird, so he thoughtfully went to the trouble of calling the Great
Smoky Mountains National Park and ended up talking with me. Mr. Cook is
very pleased with his goose, which he describes as a half-sized Canada
goose, and welcomes anyone to come see it.. He and I would be grateful if
an experienced birder could come over to confirm the identification. His
phone # is 865-453-7496 and his pond is near his house: traveling from
Sevierville toward Newport on US 411, turn right on Hettie Dr then  on to
Angela Dr and park in the cul-de-sac.  This area is a few miles from
Douglas Lake in northwest Sevier county. Thanks - let us know!

Kristine Johnson
Supervisory Forester
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
107 Park Headquarters Rd.