[TN-Bird] Revised president's message

  • From: Virginia Reynolds <treynold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:44:44 -0500

I forgot to add one thing Carolyn suggested. See Italics
President?s Message
        The Chattanooga Chapter celebrated its 50th anniversary in great
style. Highlights include the banquet on Saturday evening on the
riverboat and Scott Weidensaul?s talk. All of us are enjoying our
t-shirts. It was an outstanding Spring Meeting and the Memphis Chapter
has a challenge for next spring. Thanks to the Chattanooga Chapter
members for all their hard work.
        At the annual meeting, Danny Gaddy was voted in as President-Elect.
Chris Sloan resigned the position of Treasurer. The Society owes Chris
a vote of gratitude for taking on a difficult job and for his hard
work. Mac McWhirter was elected Treasurer. Mac is from Memphis where he
is Controller and Assistant Dean for Administrative Services at Rhodes
College. He also a CPA with a great deal of experience in dealing with
non-profit organizations and has served as President and Treasurer of
the Wolf River Conservancy. Lastly, but not leastly, he is the husband
of former TOS President Susan McWhirter. TOS is very fortunate he has
agreed to take the post.  You can find his address, e-mail and phone
number in this issue of The Warbler. If you are interested in serving
on the Finance Committee, please do not hesitate to volunteer. TOS
needs your help.
        This spring has been a time of great loss for TOS. Barbara Finney and
George Mayfield will be greatly missed.  Both were past Presidents of
TOS, but such service is only a small indication of their devotion to
our organization and the countless ways they have served it.
        The Fall Meeting will be held in Cookeville on October 9-10.
Additional information can be found in this issue of The Warbler.
Please plan to attend as Chuck Nicholson will have put together an
outstanding Paper Session and there will be an opportunity to visit
some new birding areas.
A very special thank you goes to Dan and Laurie Mooney who have offered
to be in charge of the Winter Meeting.  Mike Roedel and Wallace Coffey
have also agreed to help with the meeting.
Last fall, Carolyn Bullock and I took part in the Swift Night Out
Program.  I recommend it without reservation to our membership.  All
that is involved is finding a suitable chimney and during the early
evening of August 13, 14 or 15 you sit in the comfort of your air
conditioned car and count swifts pouring into the chimney. Alternate
dates are September 10, 11 or 12, One evening we counted over 900
swifts and several sheriff deputies who were very interested in why two
women were parked near the county prison in Shelby Farms at dusk. I
kept counting while Carolyn explained what we were doing. Additional
information can be found on the web site <ww.chimneyswift.org>. The
2004 Spring Newsletter, which is posted on the site, has all the
necessary information.
Looking forward to seeing you in October,
Virginia Reynolds