[TN-Bird] Reelfoot to the Pits, 16 Aug 13

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 02:35:05 +0000

Stephen Zipperer and I made a loop through west TN hotspots today looking for
target species for Stephen.  Long day, but a few highlights:

Reelfoot area - more water on the ground then expected, but almost no
shorebirds to speak of.
Tiptonville Bar, Lake Co. - 555+ Least terns, 1 Black Tern
Sheeps Ridge Rd where the levee blew out, eliminating access to Island 13 (Lake
Co.) - Olive-sided Flycatcher (I'll post photos eventually).

Missed Western Kingbirds at a couple usual places in Shelby Co., but this is no
surprise as others have missed them recently.

Ensley Bottom, Pits, Shelby Co. -
The main pit had more shorebirds than I've ever seen.  I was estimating the
massive flock in groups of 500 and counted 17,000 birds, twice.  Of that, about
15,000 were Least Sandpipers, 1500 Pectorals (in a wide variety of sizes and
plumages that were quite fascinating), and 500 Semipalmated Sandpipers.
Smattering of other expected species, but pretty limited numbers.  Few
Black-necked Stilts as most of the smaller ponds were drying up.

We found the Fulvous Whistling-Duck in with Black-bellied's in one of the
smaller ponds with a lot of light brown weeds.  One family of Black-bellieds
had a bunch of pretty small young.

Not much else to note at the Pits but the huge number of birds!  I felt like I
was at a coastal concentration point.  At one point, a Cooper's Hawk scared
everything up. Pretty impressive sight!  A few more hours and a little luck and
maybe a real goody could be teased out of that group!  Hopefully they'll be
around tomorrow.

Good birding,
Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist