[TN-Bird] Reelfoot Lake boat ride, 3/15/13

  • From: Dustin Crowell <dusscrow@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 09:15:16 -0500

After a long canoe trip with a college class this past Friday (3/15), we
decided to go for a boat ride on Reelfoot Lake to enjoy the nice weather
and check on some of the eagle nests. While one nest had a crow on it (not
a good sign I'm guessing) and the others showed no activity, we did see at
least 2 adult and 3 immature birds. There were several other birds out and
about, mainly waterfowl such as Mallards, Wood Ducks, and Northern
Shovelers. There were numerous smaller birds (I'm guessing Swamp Sparrows,
etc.) but we were on the move for the most part and I could not id the
LBB's (little brown birds). We also discovered a Northern Cardinal that had
tangled himself up in fishing line on a branch and died. He had been there
about a week by the looks of it. After cutting him down we continued on.
Some pluses for the trip were about 25 or 30 American White Pelicans, lots
of Blue-winged Teal, and 3 Osprey (one was already at her nest on the rim).
I was very excited about the teal and Osprey as it is the first time I've
seen either this year. I don't know how long the Osprey have been here, but
after seeing them the 15th I saw 2 more on the 16th, one flying overhead on
my way to work, the other at the State Park Visitor Center carrying a
stick. Those Osprey don't waste any time getting back in the swing of
things!

Dustin Crowell
Obion County, TN