[TN-Bird] Reelfoot Lake area 4/28/03

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:18:24 -0500

Reelfoot Lake vicinity
4/28/03

After talking to Jeff yesterday, I hoped to head to Reelfoot this morning,
luckily circumstances allowed me to go. Let me 1st say that I didn't relocate
the Marbled Godwit Jeff found over the weekend, the river has taken a jump and
the sandbar the Godwit was on is submerged. BTW, there were also two separate
Marbled Godwit sightings in KY over the weekend! I also didn't get the Upland
Sandpipers either, although this afternoon when I was on Hwy 79 in Lake Co.,
there was a steady stream of traffic (trucks & dumptrucks) that may have kept
these shy birds in alert mode.

I started the morning on Walnut Log, with little breeze, making for some nice
passerine viewing. I got several first-of-seasons like Rose-breasted Grosbeak,
Gray Catbird, Philly Vireo (all 6 regularly occurring TN vireos on the Log),
and singing Gray-cheeked Thrush. It was a good day for warblers (for April
anyway) on Walnut Log, with 20 species. These included FOS birds, all singles,
of Orange-crowned, Chestnut-sided, Blackburnian, Bay-breasted, and Cerulean.
Ironically, I wouldn't pick up another warbler all day, and as a matter of
fact, I only had 8 warbler species outside of Walnut Log. Something else kind
of funny, I'm up to 28 warblers this spring, with no Redstart yet, must be a
mental block or something.

As Jeff mentioned, shorebird habitat is pretty scarce right now at Reelfoot.
Only 9 species, none of which unexpected. My best find was a lone American
Golden-Plover keeping company with several of its little Semipalmated cousins.
A couple of brief looks at the Lake produced only Forster's Terns. One of my
highlights of the day was spending some time with one of my favorite birds,
Bobolinks. I ran across 2 groups (all males), one of 3 birds, the 2nd of 28
birds. The larger group was working the levee near Mud Lake, and paid me little
attention when I got out to admire them, as they bubbled and tinkled away.

Anyone who hasn't birded Hwy 79, should give it a run if you're in the area.
It's a neat area, when it's not underwater anyway, which in spring is often the
case. I must second Jeff's sentiments regarding the White-crowned Sparrows
along 79, I've never seen anything like it. At one time, in one small puddle in
the road, 22 White-crowned Sparrows were splashing around. It was like this for
miles, it was neat also to hear their song in surround sound, with 6 or 7 birds
singing nearby from every direction, so that one was always singing!

It was a great day to be out, winding up with 124 species, can't wait for May!

I've added a few shots from today to my website, nothing rare by any means,
just a few birds that cooperated long enough for me to get a decent shot (which
takes awhile). Blue Grosbeak, Dickcissel, Bobolink, and both Yellowlegs. If
anyone's interested, this is in the "misc." folder at
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=330&groupID=116215&folderview=thumbs&ck=
 .

Good birding!!!!!!

Mike Todd