[TN-Bird] Reelfoot Lake are; Obion & Lake Co. 5/2/07

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 12:46:34 -0500

5/2/07
Reelfoot Lake area (Obion & Lake Co.)
Walnut Log (Obion Co.) over to Phillipy & Black Bayou area

I spent all day at Reelfoot Lake yesterday, finally arriving early enough to
enjoy a nice day on Walnut Log. Warbler variety was pretty good, though I
didn't  have near the numbers of birds that were seen at Radnor Lake
yesterday. Otherwise, I finally go there early enough for Yellow-crowned
Night-Herons, which I had missed my last couple of trips. Thrushes were in
short supply, with none singing other than Wood Thrush; Swainson's was the
only other one on the day. Another new addition for the year, finally, was
Yellow-billed Cuckoo, with several singing. Warblers seen were:

Blue-winged Warbler: 1 female
Golden-winged Warbler: 1 male
Tennessee Warbler: many
Nashville Warbler: 6
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler: one on the Log, several more later in day
Chestnut-sided Warbler: 3
Magnolia Warbler: 7
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler: 1 heard
Blackburnian Warbler: 2 heard
Yellow-throated Warbler
Palm Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler: 2
Black-and-white Warbler: 1
American Redstart: 5
Prothonotary Warbler
Swainson's Warbler: one in same location as last visit
Ovenbird: 1 heard
Northern Waterthrush: several over day
LA Waterthrush: 1 heard
Kentucky Warbler: many
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-breasted Chat

I left Walnut Log and went around the top end of the Lake to get to the
Phillipy area. I stopped at the same spot just north of Long Point (in KY)
where there was a shorebird concentration last week. Semipalmated Plover
numbers have grown to a whopping 86, and I'm sure I missed some in the
grass. Otherwise, a lot of Pec, Least, and Yellowlegs. I didn't even go into
Long Point, as there is no shorebird habitat there. Also in KY I had a
singing Marsh Wren, and a couple of Lincoln's Sparrows that popped-up for
me.

I spent most of the day in the general Phillipy and Black Bayou areas. I did
not refind the Ruff, despite looking numerous times throughout the area. I
arrived at Phillipy just as a heavy rain started. I was sitting there with
my window cracked, when I heard the wonderful sound of Black-bellied
Plovers. Six of these beauties dropped into the pit on the north side of the
road, and two of them were in what looked to be full-alternate plumage. I
had hoped for a photo of them, but literally within minutes of the rain
moving on, these birds called and were gone. Lots of birds in the area
still, with 15 White-rumped Sandpipers counted, nice for early-May.
Pectorals are the dominant bird here now, with an easy 500 in  the area. It
took a lot of looking to finally pull a couple of Semipalmated Sandpipers
out of the mix here.

I checked the field a couple of times that Mark had the Ruff in on Tuesday,
with no luck. Finally did get a couple of Black-necked Stilts there. Didn't
see any Stilt Sandpipers all day. The Ibis Hole was pretty quiet with the
exception of 5 nice Long-billed Dowitchers. I was able to get close enough
to them to get some semi-decent shots, for ID purposes. When I returned to
the Phillipy Pits again, after another shower, a pair of breeding-plumage
Wilson's Phalaropes were in close. I called Nancy Moore and she was able to
get there just as the rain started again, she got great looks at the
Phalaropes and we looked at some White-rumps as well. I couldn't match the
shorebird list Jeff had at Memphis, but 14 species in that little area
wasn't bad, and I'd add a couple more at Black Bayou.

I wanted to check on the Bell's Vireos at Black Bayou, and they don't seem
to be in yet. On the way back though I flushed a Sora, and kicked up several
more Lincoln's Sparrows, for a 9 Sparrow day. The shorebird pond at Black
Bayou looks alright, though nothing of interest there except some Snipe. On
the way out, I stopped and looked at the flooded field on the southwest side
of the road on the Black Bayou loop, just before you get back out to the
highway. This field had 11 more Wilson's Phalaropes (6 female, 5 male), and
at least 30 Dowitchers. It started to rain again while I was on my way out
there; most of the Dowitchers structurally looked like Long-billed, but a
couple of the closer ones were nice bright Short-bills. The distant
Dowitchers I didn't get to get any details on.

Over the last few days, Dickcissels have really taken over. I heard
Bobolinks overhead one time, but didn't see any. I had hoped to get to the
Lake, but ran out of time. Still, with the limited areas I went to, I had
134 species on the day. 150 would have been very doable if I had been trying
to run up a list.

I've posted several shots from the day (Yellow-crowned Night-Heron,
Lincoln's Sparrow, Dowitchers, White-rumps, Phalaropes, etc) in my Spring
2007 gallery. If interested, the images start here:
http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/image/78158131  , or you can just go to the
gallery at: http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/spring_2007 , with new images being
towards the bottom of the page.

Good Birding!!