[TN-Bird] Reelfoot Lake and Dyer County Area

  • From: <kcleggett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:15:39 -0500

During the last few days Glen Criswell, Betty and I have been trying to catch
up with some birding. Some items of interest are:
The Bald Eagle nest on the south end of Everett's Lake near Heloise has at
least three young eagles.  Barges docking at Ford Construction's gravel
facility have disrupted nesting here for the last two years but seems to be
going good this time.

White Lake Refuge is full of many shorebirds, herons and egrets.  Today we had
over 300 Little Blue Herons there along with 1 American Bittern and some Snowy
and Great Egrets.  Shorebirds included Dunlin (2), Black-necked Stilts (8),
Greater Yellowlegs(121), Least Sandpiper(8), Western Sandpiper(2), Stilt
Sandpiper(4) & Semipalmated Sandpipers(9). Earlier this week there was a Female
Wilson's Phalarope.  We also had a Female today in Back Bayou WMA.

There were 3 Baird's Sandpipers at Hwy 103 and Great River Road.

At least 112 White Pelicans were on a lake just south of Tiptonville just off
of Cherry Road.

Besides the Female Wilson's Phalarope in Black Bayou we also had 5 Stilt
Sandpipers, 1 Sora, 60 Gadwall, 12 Green-winged Teal and 21 Short-billed
Dowitchers.  At the southern section of Black Bayou there were 5 Mississippi
Kites, 1 Osprey and another Green Heron.

Highway 79W is being repaired by the Lake County Highway group.  Driving on it
now is somewhat difficult with all the trucks, etc.

Ken Leggett
Dyer County
Dyersburg, TN