[TN-Bird] Reelfoot Area-Roseate Spoonbills

  • From: "Ken Leggett" <kcleggett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:44:33 -0500

At 6;30 this evening my wife Betty and I saw 5 Roseate Spoonbills on Highway
157 about 2.5 miles north of the U. S. Fish and Wildlife headquarters and about
a mile north of the entrance off of 157 to Walnut Log.  This is less than two
miles from the Kentucky line.

A friend of Nancy Moore had passed by there and thought she saw 6 Roseate
Spoonbills.  She called Nancy who is in California and she called me.  I
believe that she said they had been there a day or two.

They were immature and all feeding most of the time.  A good number of
shorebirds were also present in the same but nothing unusual.  The light at
that time of the day made viewing very difficult. Albert Markam came by and
made some photos that were good enough to be able to positively identify them.

In the morning the light would be perfect there.

Ken Leggett
Dyersburg, TN