[TN-Bird] Red-throated Loon, Surf Scoter - Cook Rec Area, Percy Priest Lake

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 15:29:33 +0000

I went to see what was roosting on Percy Priest Lake off the Cook Rec Area,
Davidson Co., on Wed, 28 Nov 12.  Few gulls for this time of the year (only
about 350 Bonaparte's and 1500 Ring-billed), but the duck numbers and diversity
were excellent for Priest and the loons were in force.  I had 13 species of
waterfowl, including 2 Red-breasted Mergansers, 2 Redhead, and a pair of
Northern Pintail.  The hordes of Horned Grebes were present, although I ran out
of daylight to get a decent count.  Other ducks were too distant and/or
sleeping to ID and count.

Highlights were an adult male Surf Scoter and an immature Red-throated Loon.
The loon was initially seen only about 100m off the shore and was later seen
swimming with 20 Common Loons not much further from shore.  Having the
Red-throated in with the Common Loons at relatively close range was a real
treat.

On my way back to the truck at last light, I flushed a woodcock from the edge
of the woods along the small manmade pond by the boat ramp parking lot.   I
also had 4 different Great Horned Owls calling up a storm, 2 on an island
across the lake and 2 on Cook Rec Area proper.

Here is a shortened link to the Cook Rec Area site page on the Tennessee's
watchable Wildlife web site.  I'm slowly but surely creating site pages for
each of the good birding places around Priest Lake.
http://tinyurl.com/cpquevj

See full eBird list below.

Great birding!!
Scott Somershoe

J. Percy Priest Lake--Cook Rec Area, Davidson, US-TN Nov 28, 2012 4:00 PM -
5:15 PM

Protocol: Traveling

0.5 mile(s)

30 species