[TN-Bird] Red-tailed morphs in nothwest TN

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:34:09 EST

Feb. 6, 2005
Dyer and Lake Co. TN

After birding Lauderdale Waterfowl Refuge, Saturday afternoon, I  headed
north and started Sunday looking for some particular winter resident  Red-tails
that I've noted this winter. The total number for the day, 84,  included 5
Krider's (2 adult and 3 imm), 1 dark morph, 1 rufous morph, 1 dark  Harlan's
and 4
light calurus (western subspecies).

Just of 78, east of Bogota Refuge, there has been a brilliant adult  Krider's
and west of the refuge I saw the rufous morph and the  dark morph that have
been there all winter. Another adult Krider's has been  seen off and on near
Owl Hoot and 2 immature Krider's were seen along the Great  River Road. The 3rd
immature was in the tumbleweed area off 79 highway, west of  the Great River
Road, where it sat in a tree with one of the light calurus and  both sat for ID
shots. The dark Harlan's was seen just south of the Phillippy  pit area near
the levee. Another light calurus was north of the Phillippy  section of Black
Bayou, while the other two were off the Great River Road south  of 104. There
were quite a few pairs of Red-tails sitting side by side, and love  was in the
air............looks like a Happy Valentines Day for ALL.

Good  Birding!!!
Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett,  TN