[TN-Bird] Red-breasted Nuthatches, etc. Hampton, TN

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 18:01:06 -0400

A woodland walk on Sunday, May 22, yielded comfirmation that at least a couple
of Red-breasted Nuthatches are still present.

In addition, I got good looks at an Acadian Flycatcher (and heard a second one)
as well as heard the loud calls of at least one Great Crested Flycatcher.
Warblers present included Hooded, Black-throated Green, Ovenbird,
Black-and-white and Worm-eating.

Nesting birds are very visible. The Brown Thrasher pair is feeding young. The
Eastern Bluebirds fledged five young this past week. Another nest box contains
six Carolina Chickadees that look ready to fledge. Tree Swallows have occupied
a box, but I can't see into their nest. In addition, two eggs have appeared in
the House Wren box.

Three species of swallows ? Tree, Barn and Northern Rough-winged ? visit the
site on the side of the gravel driveway where I have been leaving egg shells.

This morning, Monday, May 23, I had a Green Heron visit the fish pond.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN