[TN-Bird] Re: Red-breasted Nuthatch and feeding frenzy encore in Nashville yard

  • From: Ed Schneider <ed.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jan Shaw <jankshaw@xxxxxxx>, tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 22:50:31 -0500

Yes, I had similar action in our hackberries here in the yard (coincidentally
just a few miles from Jan's house). But that Summer tanager must be a late
bird!Hackberries, though generally considered nasty trees, seem to have a
plethora of insect prey every fall; I find kinglets, red-breasted nuthatches,
and straggler warbler species really have a smorgasbord of dining opportunities.
Ed SchneiderNashville, TN

From: JanKShaw@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 17:50:55 -0400
Subject: [TN-Bird] Red-breasted Nuthatch and feeding frenzy encore in Nashville
yard
To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

10-9-2012
Crieve Hall
Davidson Co.

I went back out to my backyard late this afternoon to see if all those
species I had yesterday had come back.  Sure enough, almost all
the same ones were there, plus a Nashville Warbler, Bay-breasted, Summer
Tanager
and my first Red-breasted Nuthatch of the season.  Almost all of
yesterday's and today's birds were in my hackberry trees.   Fun!

Jan Shaw
Nashville, TN