[TN-Bird] Red-breasted Nuthatch, Siskin, etc. - Davidson

  • From: Ed Schneider <ed.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 09:39:24 -0500

Yesterday (10/27) we had a Red-breasted Nuthatch coming to our sunflower seed
feeder. After I hung out on the deck and got a few shots, I observed a female
White-breasted Nuthatch vigorously chasing it from the feeder a number of
times.... no sign of the much smaller bird today.
On 10/25 while walking my daughter at Radnor Lake, I heard Pine Siskin calling
near the south end where the road cuts between the Lake and the Slough; it
seemed like the calls were coming from somewhere out in the lake, which really
had me confused. I kept looking in the honeysuckle that (unfortunately) lines
the road there, but no luck. Finally my eyes wandered to one of the half
submerged logs that red-eared sliders and their relatives normally sun upon,
and to my surprise, there were 13 Pine Siskin and a single American Goldfinch
packed together on a small log. I couldn't tell for sure if they were just
having a drink or eating small insects.
Also, there seems to be an enormous amount of Golden-crowned Kinglets this
year, and I can't seem to even take the garbage out without hearing at least a
few among the seemingly constant calling of the Yellow-rumps. Maybe it's all
the euonymus climbing up the numerous hackberry trees in the yard.
Ed SchneiderNashville