[TN-Bird] Red-Breasted Nuthatches

  • From: Tallentad@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 17:59:28 EDT

I have heard so many TN-Bird people saying they had RBN in  their yard this
year, well, I can now be counted among them. I saw a pair of  them yesterday at
my feeders. I was standing not more than a foot away  from my bedroom window,
when one flew up to the sunflower feeder.  He snatched a seed then flew to a
tree to open the seed. Another RBN was  seen below at another feeder before
the first bird had flown. The one coming to  the window was thinner and smaller
than the one at the hopper feeder in the  yard.

This was a new yard bird for me.
I hope since there are a scarcity of seeds up north, we will  have more
northern visitors. It's been at least a couple of years since we have  had pine
siskins in any numbers. Sure wish the Evening Grosbeaks would make an
appearance
in my backyard. It's been a LONG time since I have seen them.

Do any Red Crossbills ever spend the winter in the lower  elevations? I have
never seen one, but I sure would like for them to spend the  winter in my
yard. We do have pine trees on either side of our property.

Ann Tallent
Blount Co.
Maryville

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES