[tn-bird] Recent sightings/E TN/ Campbell County

  • From: Jimi Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 22:30:35 -0400

I have seen some interesting birds lately in my E. Tennessee wanderings
and had several Spring Firsts.
Being out of town has delayed my posts, but wanted to condense this and
send it out since several people have called and/or emailed to see what
is around.
I am posting the latest dates sightings (today- 4-25-) for those only
interested in this.

Cove Lake St. Pk/Campbell County/TN-  Thurs-4-25- A brief mid-day walk
produced my Spring First NORTHERN ORIOLE in the park. 2 Palm Warblers
were about as well as Swainsons Warbler/Prothonotary/ Worm Eating/Common
Yellowthroat /Yellow-Throated Warbler/ Many Wood Thrush are now in the
park and easily seen early morn or late evening as they hop around on the
trail.
Most interesting were 2 COMMON OR FORSTER"S TERNS. I did not have my
scope with me and they were distant. I am leaning towards Forsters by
watching the diving behaviour and the tail did not seem as deeply forked
as Common. I will try to find this bird again in the morning and hope for
a closer look. I only saw him in flight. Ring-Billed Gulls were also
about.

On 4-19-Cove Lake birds: Spring First/  Great Crested Flycatchers/ House
Wren/ Eastern Wood PeeWee
SWAINSON'S WARBLER are on territory (3 found so far)
Seen well for several minutes on the back trail.
2 NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH on the back trail chasing each other. Also sang.
A SOLITARY AND SPOTTED SANDPIPER were in the middle area of the lake
accessed by walking the new Beaver Trail area.

The first GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLERS /CHESTNUT SIDED( 4-18-02)  are on the
strip mine ledge on the way up to Cross Mt. Campbell County above
Caryville.
Ceruleans are numerous now as well as Hoodeds/Black and Whites/ Blk Th.
Greens and Ovenbirds in this area. Also Scarlet Tanagers and
Rose_Breasted Grosbeaks.
GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS have returned to the plateau on the top as well as
HORNED LARKS are doing breeding displays there.

At Craven's House near Lookout Mt. Chattanooga on Sun. 4-21 I saw a
Tennessee Warbler and a SWAINSON'S THRUSH as well as a few expected
species.
A trip to the Smokies/ Abrams Falls  area via Foothills Parkway etc.
scouting for Golden-Winged Warbler habitat  yesterday (4-23-24) produced
several Red Crossbill flyovers. Blackburnian Warblers were heard in
Abrams Falls area as well as Swainson's Warbler along Schoolhouse Gap
trail (I believe it was called)
Cades Cove was VERY quiet!

Nell Moore
jimimoore@xxxxxxxx