[TN-Bird] Rare woodpecker in TN?

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 18:22:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

Today I was told by National Park Service personnel that they
recieved a report from someone in Sevier County of possible
Red-cockaded Woodpeckers (RCW for short).  While not on the level of
Ivory-billed, this would be a significant sighting, because I believe
it has been about 20 years since this species was confirmed in
Tennessee.

Because the home owners are an elderly couple with some health
issues, and because it is in a difficult to access place, I hope you
will forgive my not broadcasting the exact location to the world,
except to say it was east of Gatlinburg.

I went today to interview the man and see the location.  He says that
2 birds came to his feeder multiple times for 2-3 days.  He seems to
know his woodpeckers well, and described to me from memory the key
markings of each of the species found in this area, and his
description of Red-cockaded was very good.

However the habitat seems all wrong to me.  There were a number of
pines in this mixed forest, but not a stand of them.  And most were
not of the diameter I've seen in other RCW colonies.  And whereas
most RCW colonies have very sparse undergrowth - often just grass -
this area was quite thick.

Because this is not a migratory species, and because there are no
known extant colonies for several hours' drive, I do not know what to
think.  One the one hand an apparently reliable observer, on the
other an unlikely (but not impossible) situation.

I have instructed the man to take photos if they ever come back, and
he promised to call me.

I am also giving specific details to a couple of state ornithologists
- not because they are privileged or more deserving than all of you
fine people, but because the recod may turn out to be important if a
colony is ever found.

I do not intend to go searching through this rugged terrain if there
are no further sightings.  I know 2 NPS employees who live nearby and
they are keeping their eyes open for both nest trees and birds.

While there today I saw 3 each Red Crossbills and Pine Siskins at the
gentleman's feeder.

Good day!

Charlie

Charlie Muise, Naturalist in
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"To the dull mind all nature is leaden.  To the illuminated mind
the whole world sparkles with light."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/