[TN-Bird] Rankin peregrines

  • From: "Richard Knight" <rknight8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 21:15:47 -0400

Rankin Bottoms, Cocke Co., TH

2 Peregrine Falcons, an adult & an immature, were observed actively
hunting shorebirds around the mudflats for much of the afternoon.

Often they were working in tandem, somewhat as if the adult was still
teaching the juvenile how best to attack shorebirds.

I wonder if, perhaps, these birds are from one of the nest sites in the
Smokies.  These eyries are not that far from Douglas Lake, as the
Peregrine flies.

There would be a lot more food available around the lake and in the
Ridge & Valley, as compared to the heavily forested Smokies.

I suspect that the Peregrines nesting in the Smokies move out into the
nearby lowlands soon after the young start flying well enough to hunt
for themselves.

Just a thought.

Rick Knight
Johnson City, TN