[TN-Bird] Rankin pelican, snowys, etc.

  • From: "michael sledjeski" <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 12:10:57 -0400

We canoed around the Rankin portion of Douglas Lake, in Cocke county, with some friends on Sunday, 9/4. The AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN reported by Don Miller was still present, content to forage and groom with great egrets. It passed directly overhead, showing a mud-stained belly when it flew to roost in the heronry.

We watched a pair of SNOWY EGRETS foraging along the edge of the pond past the gate on the old RR bed; a third was fishing near 2 LITTLE BLUE HERONS on the French Broad riverbank. All 3 egrets had black forelegs and yellow lores; no mating plumage evident.

We studied an odd duck at close range for a while and concluded that it was a juvenile REDHEAD, apparently the first of its species recorded at Rankin. Rankin doesn't seem deep enough for redheads, but according to Sibley, diving ducks will dabble in shallow water.

We saw 10 species of shorebirds, including STILT SANDPIPER and WILSON'S SNIPE, in the mudflat below the gate. The Holt Town Rd. wetlands, across the river, are rapidly revegetating; there were a few spotted & solitary sandpipers and killdeer. Great blues, great egrets, little blues, black-crowned night- herons, & green herons were feasting on the backwater shad.

Lake Level: None of the highlighted species were easily observable from shore; lake elevation was 987.5'. However, fall drawdown officially began on 9/4; 986.5' is predicted for 9/7. Rankin Bottoms should be good for birding from the road and shore by the weekend. Canoe birding will still be the better m.o.; call if you'd like to join us.

Michael Sledjeski & Leslie Gibbens
(423) 487-3161
Cocke county

TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)