[TN-Bird] Rankin ibis

  • From: michael sledjeski <mbsledjeski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 10:28:41 -0400

Rankin area, Cocke & Hamblen counties, 8/7/11, 6:30 to 9 PM, by canoe
Douglas lake elevation: 988 ft.

M.S. managed to get a few long-range photos of a juvenile WHITE IBIS,
first-of-the-season for us.  We made the rounds, into the mouth of the
Nolichucky River & to Riverwood Pond, but the choicest mud for shorebirds was
at Rankin Bottoms, where we found a mixed flock of 100+ after sunset.  The
cormorants have abandoned their roost at Rankin Bottoms, and now fly up the
Nolichucky late in the day.

Partial list:

Wood duck (32)
Double-crested cormorant (42)
Great blue heron (22)
Great egret (100+ roosting in a dense willow grove)
Little blue heron (9 juv.)
Green heron (36- our highest count ever)
Black-crowned night-heron (18)
White ibis - 1 juv.
   photo:  http://www.pbase.com/image/137060752/original
Osprey (9 )