[TN-Bird] Rankin- 8/26/11

  • From: michael sledjeski <mbsledjeski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 23:09:22 -0400

Rankin Bottoms, Cocke county

I took a late canoe trip at Rankin Bottoms today, but was blown off the water
by a steady north wind. There has been a big influx of shorebirds into the
area, but  I didn't get to see any species other than what's been  reported
earlier this month (e.g., dowitchers, Baird's, Stilt & Western Sandpipers).  A
Common Tern and a dozen Blue-Winged Teal were First-of Season birds.  Much of
the mudflat edge is still 500 to 1500 feet from most of the usual viewing spots.

Michael Sledjeski
Del Rio TN  -Home of the Del Rio Song Contest
                       http://www.delriosongcontest.com/