[TN-Bird] Radnor Mourning Warbler continues

  • From: fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 11:19:11 -0500 (CDT)

Radnor Lake State Natural Area
Davidson Co.
Nashville, TN
MOnday, 8 May 2006
7-10 am
cloudy and cool

After walking Radnor Lake and Shelby Park and Bottoms with 30+
visiting TOS birders on Saturday and Sunday, a solo outing
at Radnor this morning felt a bit peculiar.  I walked only
from the West Parking lot to Long Bridge before turning back
and used the Spillway Trail on the final leg to my auto (Lady
Luck smiled on that decision).  Despite the mostly overcast
conditions, I had an excellent morning of bird sightings.
To add to my pleasure, two otters were seen close to the dam.

The West parking lot, as on Saturday, was host to many
birds.  One female CAPE MAY WARBLER was still around there,
but I was not able to find the BREWSTER'S. Near the dam
and Ranger house I searched for the male MOURNING WARBLER but
did NOT find it.  Instead I watched 4 CANADA GOOSE goslings
below the dam.  There were plenty of thrushes as I approached
Long Bridge with VEERY and GRAY-CHEEKED seen but numbers dominated
by 25+ SWAINSON's THRUSHes.   The Long Bridge area itself was
quite active as well, the highlight was a male CANADA WARBLER.
On the walk back the area between the deck and dam proved its
worth, as I picked up several more warbler species, including
nice sightings of an adult male AM. REDSTART and a male HOODED
WARBLER.  At the dam area I again failed to find the MOURNING,
and so headed down the Spillway trail back to my car.  About
100 yards from the parking lot along the Spillway Trail,
I heard a strong chip note and soon got outstanding looks at
the male MOURNING WARBLER, who posed for me out in the open
several times from distances of 10-15 feet (no binoculars needed).
In all I saw or heard 18 species of warblers, a great morning.
With a bit more work I could have had a 20+ species day, but I did
have to get to work sometime today.  The only disappointment was a
flycatcher that I was unable to identify.

Birds of interest included:
Veery 1
Gray-cheeked Thrush 2
Swainson's Thrush 25+