[TN-Bird] RT LOON, Dunlin - Blount, Knox

  • From: kde@xxxxxxx
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 20:19:01 -0500 (EST)

While working the Knoxville CBC today (Sat, 3 Jan 2009), I found
an immature RED-THROATED LOON at Louisville Point Park (LPP) in
Blount Co, TN.  This is on Ft Loudon Lake and the bird was seen in
both Blount and Knox Co.  I called Tom Howe and he, Jean Alexander,
David Johnson, and Chuck and Lola Estes were also able to make it
over and see the bird.  Jim Human was going to head that way but
I don't know if he found it as well.

This is a new species for the Knoxville CBC.

That's the 3rd Red-throated Loon I've found in East TN in under a
week after not having seen one here in over 10 years (last was also
at Cherokee Lake in the 1990s).

Directions to Louisville Pt Park from I-40 Knoxville:  Take I-140
south to the Topside Rd exit (exit 9) and go west on Topside until
it tees into Louisville Rd at the red-flashing light / 4-way stop.
Turn right onto Louisville Rd and go about 2 miles to Cox Rd on
your right.  There is a very small, brown sign on the left-hand
side of the road that says "Lousiville Point".  Follow Cox Rd to
the end.  The bird was seen in the main channel to the west.
Note that there are also at least 3 Common Loons in the area and
many DC Cormorants.  WARNING:  If you Google-map "Louisville Point
Park, TN" it will take you to the wrong place.

Some other good birds I had or heard about (in addition to Ron
and Dollyann's Common Merganser)  from the southern part of the
circle (mainly Blount Co):

Red-breasted Merganser, 1 male at Lackey Creek (Blount Co) giving
us a merganser hat-trick... where was that Smew?

Blue-winged Teal, 1 male in Louisville area (Tom Howe)

Horned Grebe, 1 at LPP

Great Egret, 1 at the usual spot at Lackey Creek

Bald Eagle, 2 immatures

Sandhill Crane, 52 at Lackey Creek just before sunset (Tom Howe)

DUNLIN, 3 at Lackey Creek (while I was taking around a crew from
the Knoxville News-Sentinel, watch for a story around Monday)

AMERICAN WOODCOCK, at least one displaying near Lackey Creek
before dawn

Herring Gull, 2, LPP

Red-headed Woodpecker, 1 immature, Jackson Bend, Blount Co

RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD, a staked-out, recapture bird, Knox Co
(Lyn Bales, Patty Ford had it at the hosts' home), 2nd ever for
the Knoxville CBC

Loggerhead Shrike, 1 at the usual spot, last known location in
the count circle, Roy Goddard Rd in Louisville, Blount Co (Jim
Human)

Rusty Blackbird, Tom Howe had several but I forget where

Pine Siskin, I had 45 at 2 feeder stations in Blount Co, Tom
Howe also reported some

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES