[TN-Bird] RPT: Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge and GSMNP, 11/7-8; Rose-breasted Grosbeak and others

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 02:38:59 -0500

 I was in town from Louisville, Ky with my family visiting Gatlinburg
 and found time to spend a few hours at Seven Islands near Sevierville.
 I wasn't expecting much but actually had a good day that began with
 a female Rose-br. Grosbeak just outside the parking lot.

 Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge, Kodak, Tn, 11/7, 10:10-1:45pm

 Mallard-2
  Turkey Vulture-8
   Bald Eagle-1 ad.
  Red-tl. Hawk-1
  Rock Dove
  Mourning Dove
Yellow-bl. Sapsucker-1
 Red-bl. Woodpecker
 Downy Woodpecker
No. Flicker
 Eastern Phoebe-2
Blue Jay
Am. Crow
 Carolina Chickadee
  Tufted Titmouse
 White-br. Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
 Winter Wren-2
Golden-cr. Kinglet- several groups
  Ruby-cr. Kinglet-1
Eastern Bluebird
  Am. Robin
  No. Mockingbird
 Brown Thrasher- seen briefly in flight probable
  Starling
  Cedar Waxwing-35 or so
  Orange-cr. Warbler-2 at least with stunning looks in good light
 Yellow-rp. Warbler-3
Palm Warbler-6
 Eastern Towhee-8 or more part of large flock of sparrows along entrance
 path adjacent to woods
Chipping Sp.-40+ along Kelley lane
  Field Sp.-6
Vesper Sparrow-1 at the edge of a plowed field across from old homestead
 near river
 Grasshopper Sp.-1 what a surprise! when this guy jumped up I was expecting
 to find a Savanna Sparrow, but the eye-ring, general yellowish wash,
 light breast streaking and heavier bill for a small sparrow proved
 it to be Ammodramus savannarum! Brief but definitive. I see that this
 was a weekend for all expected Ammodramus sp. to be found in Eastern
 Tennessee, with multiple LeConte's, Grasshopper and single Henslow's
 sparrows being located.
  Song Sp.
 Swamp Sp.- never saw only 1 or 2 definitive harsh notes among the hoards
of White-throated Sp. calls
White-thr. Sp.-many
 White-cr. Sp.- 4-5 mostly imm. seen
No. Cardinal
Rose-br. Grosbeak-1 fem. flushed from weeds in the treeline just outside
parking lot and remained frozen, perched on a branch as I walked away.
 Mostly gone where I am from and probably the last I will see this year!
 Red-wg. Blackbird-few oddly
House Finch
  Am. Gold.

 En route on 66/441 towards Gatlinburg

 Wild Turkey- flushed by plow from field outside Sevierville
Pied-bl. Grebe-2 Pigeon River
Great Blue Heron-1 same place on a sandbar
  Black Vulture-4
 Red-sh. Hawk

 11/8 climbed the summit of Smokies by car to Clingman's Dome for views
 very little birding time but spent about 20 min at the Dome parking
 lot and 30 or so on nature trail off the Clingman's Dome Road

 the only birds:

Turkey Vulture-4
 Red-sh. Hawk-1
 Mo. Dove
Am. Crow
 Common Raven-3 always a joy
 Am Robin- few and quiet
  Dark-eyed Junco-3 at Clingmam's the only ones of trip

 while on nature trail a small bird which I thought might be a Hermit
 Thrush eluded me in the undergrowth and briefly heard distant chickadees
 that sound like Black-cp. and faint distant Red-br. Nuthatch and possible
 crossbills but roar of traffic too consistent to locate again

 Not bad for the amount of time I had. Seven Islands was beautiful and
 I want to go back with a whole day to set aside sometime.

 Good Birding,
Michael Autin,
 Louisville, KY

                       MAP RESOURCES