[tn-bird] RPT: Scissor-tailed Flycatchers & etc.- Lake Co.

  • From: Mikectodd@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 22:47:48 EDT

Today I made another journey west and met Ken Leggett in Ridgely this
morning, later to be met by Nancy Moore. We 1st went to the Cargil grain
elevators, and finally were able to photograph the female Scissor-tail in the
nest. I say in the nest because the nest is located inside the structure
atop one of the bins. Both the male and female are very active, and should be
easily seen from the entrance road to the Cargil facility. I have photos of
the nest site and female on the nest if anyone is interested.

Other birding was pretty slow, with the exception of one field where the
water had receded to create some prime habitat. This one field had over 300
Least Terns on the mud (with 20 or so in the air at all times). This is
probably the largest concentration in one spot that I've seen of Least Terns
in TN. There were at least this many "peeps" present with the vast majority
being Semi Sandpipers. There were 2 Least still present, and at least 9
White-rumped in the mix. Also hanging around were 5 Semi Plovers. Other than
Killdeers, no other shorebirds were seen anywhere today.

Little Blues seem to be moving in in numbers, with 2 groups of over 20 birds
seen, and several scattered ones and twos. I only saw one Snowy Egret today
though. The only duck of interest was a male Blue-winged Teal still hangin
around at Black Bayou.

Good birding!!!!!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN