[TN-Bird] Re: RFI - Shorebird spots in Dyer/Lake counties?

  • From: Terry Witt <terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dbe2g@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 08:09:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Daniel

With the drought, not sure if much habitat is present now.

You might try around the junction of the interstate and Great River Road on the
Tennessee side, and also just across the bridge in Missouri, where some holding
ponds to the north might have mud and/or birds.  There are usually waders here.

It is only 30 minutes or less north to Tiptonville, there is a city park on the
river that will definitely have habitat.  It is at the old ferry landing, and
just south of town on the levee.  Across the river to the west, there are large
sand bars which should have some shorebirds.  Unfortunately, it is not a close
view, and working on Baird's at that distance would be tricky.  I saw a
Long-billed Curlew here once for one of the few state records.
Island 13 is inaccessible unless you have a 4-wheeler, but where the road
washed
out, there is shorebird habitat here as well.  It will be the first real road
west as you drive  south from the city park on the levee.  There is a rough but
passable dirt road through the soybeans.

Hope this helps

Terry Witt
Murfreesboro Tn