[TN-Bird] Quick trip to KY Lake (Henry Co)

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 16:02:17 -0600

12/5/08
KY Lake area of Henry Co
Port Rd, Trailer Rd, Paris Landing, Britton Ford

I spent a few hours this morning birding the west side of my usual route,
but had to shorten my day considerably and wasn't able to get over to the
Pace Point area. Heat distortion was terrible today, with no distant birds
being ID'able unless they were obvious. I had very few loons, less than 50
on the day. I'm sure they're still around, just not where I could see them.
A few gulls were on the island at Paris Landing, but only Herrings and
Ringers.

Without a doubt, the highlight of the day was the number of Pine Siskins I
encountered. As soon as I got out of the car at Trailer Rd, I was
practically assaulted by the quarrelsome and buzzy notes of numerous Siskins
and Goldfinches. There was a large flock of over 100 birds in the area,
about evenly split between Siskin and Goldfinch. They were alternating
between several sycamore trees there, and coming down to some low willows to
get to the water. I enjoyed 15-20 minutes of close looks at this species
that I don't generally get this often. I think I've already had more this
winter than the last 3 or 4 years put together in west TN. Later, while
scoping from Paris Landing, I again heard Siskins coming in, and had a flock
of 38 come into the trees right over my head. This flock was solid Siskins.

I have added a couple of shots of Siskins to my winter 2008 gallery. I'm not
around enough to keep feeders out, so practically all of my Siskins are just
as I run across them birding, so shots aren't usually that easy to come
across. These aren't great, but they are busy little birds when they are
just doing their thing!!  The 1st shot starts here:
http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/image/106724958

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN