[TN-Bird] Priest Lake birds

  • From: Scott Somershoe <ssomershoe2001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 07:57:56 -0800 (PST)

Tn-Birders,
    I've seen a couple emails sent around and many of you guys have been
somewhat introduced to me as being the new State Ornithologist with TWRA
(starting Monday).  I've been on TN-Bird for a month or so seeing what is
happening up here (and how it differs from central Mississippi, which I know so
well).  All I can say is it is amazing how delayed spring migraation is here
vs. central MS.  I had numerous migrants (some species which are just showing
up here) back on 10 March in Vicksburg, MS, incl. white-eyed vireo, black-and
white warbler, gnatcatcher, parula, yellow-thr vireo, etc (you could argue one
of those individuals overwintered, but that's another story for another time).
My first Purple Martin there was on 31 January!  Things are delayed here and I
just need to learn arrival dates and how pushed back things are.
    In any event, I went birding at Priest Lake Thursday morning more or less
to see what the area looked like and see if I could find anything interesting
(i.e. those merlins which I'd love to see).  Basically no neotrops (sadly!!),
but lots of juncos, both kinglets, and singing goldfinches.  Goldfinches are
rare breeders in west MS and I have only rarely encountered singing birds, so
that was a real treat (and made me listen twice).  I did go to Anderson Rd. Rec
Area and didn't see any of the birds Jan Shaw noted except the gorgeous common
loons, but I did have one male Common Goldeneye in with the coots (no
blue-winged teal, no eagle, no grebes, no gulls).  I haven't seen a goldeneye
in years, so it was a real treat.
     I have also found tons of field sparrows (also basically non-breeders in
western MS) and meadowlarks while out biking around the area south and east of
Nashville.  Field sparrows are one of my favs!!  Hopefully some real migrants
will start coming through soon!!

I look forward to working with TN-BIRD and TOS in years to come.

Sincerely,
   Scott Somershoe

(soon to change to TWRA)
U.S.G.S.-Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
2524 S. Frontage Road
Vicksburg, MS 39180
601-629-6628 (o)
601-636-9541 (fax)