[TN-Bird] Priest Dam / Radnor Lake - No scoters but other goodies

  • From: Daniel Estabrooks <hyla514@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 14:49:24 -0800 (PST)

Percy Priest Dam / Radnor Lake
Davidson County
12-4-11

I spent most of the morning hanging around the dam and then drove over to
Radnor Lake when I was convinced that the scoters were in fact gone.

The highlights at the dam were 2 Common Loons (plus a third at Elm Hill Marina)
and a random female Northern Shoveler hiding among the Mallards. By far the
weirdest part of the day was when I found a dead Horned Grebe washed up on
shore about a hundred yards upstream from the dam. Thankfully, while I was
contemplating whether this was sufficient to put the species on my life list, I
spotted a live example out on the lake. So that solved the ethical dilemma of
the morning.

Radnor Lake produced large numbers of Ruddy Ducks (I counted 32) and Gadwalls
(at least 47, not including a few females that I wasn't sure about), as well as
the usual horde of Ring-necked Ducks and a few American Wigeons & Green-winged
Teal. But the highlight of that part of the day for me was seeing both species
of kinglets in the same tree by the east parking lot.

After seeing the teal at Radnor Lake, I'm fairly confident that my mystery
ducks from Murfree Spring Wetland yesterday were, in fact, Green-winged Teal,
so I went ahead and reported them to eBird as such.

Lots of pond sliders at Radnor Lake as well, all out basking in the cold. Gotta
hand it to the world's hardiest turtles ;-)

Daniel