[TN-Bird] Possiible Black chinned Hummingbird in Maryville

  • From: "Nancy Moore" <jaybird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-BIRD" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:24:04 -0600

As I left East Tn. I went by Ann and Ronnie Tallents house to see the migrant
hummer that  has been keeping her company for the last week. I was able to view
the bird 4 times while there at 15 minute intervals, except the last two times
the bird flew away and then came back quickly. the view from the kitchen window
is great. No binocs needed.  I observed it to have a decurved bill, the wings
are the same if not slightly longer than the tail, it pumped its tail a lot on
the 2nd and 3rd visit to the feeder, it has black spots on the neck and a
larger area in the lower center. It has a buffy chest and belly.And I felt the
wings were more rounded and not as pointed as the Ruby Throated. The  lack of
light due to the rainy conditions made it hard to get a good idea of the color
of the back and head. The back is green.  I lean toward a black Chinned, and I
hope it is banded soon so , hopefully, a definite determination can be made.
Thank you Ann for reporting the find of this hummer and for your great
hospitality.
Nancy Moore
Bluebasin Cove B&B
Reelfoot lake