[TN-Bird] Possible Anhinga - Percy Priest Dam

  • From: Daniel Estabrooks <hyla514@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 13:42:34 -0700 (PDT)

J. Percy Priest Dam
Davidson County
9/6/11

While examining an Orange-crowned/Tennessee Warbler and kicking myself for
never learning how to distinguish those two in the fall, I glanced over towards
the lake and saw a long neck coming out of the water, with a long pointed bill
on the end of it. Unfortunately, I was so preoccupied with my warbler conundrum
that I blew it off as a cormorant, completely forgetting that the bill shape
was wrong. A few minutes later, I walked down to the lake, but the bird was
gone. So for now I'll just report it as a possible ANHINGA, and perhaps someone
else can go up there and confirm it.

Other sightings of interest were a Waterthrush sp. (I'm leaning towards
Northern because the flanks seemed quite buffy and because of the habitat) and
a flock of 6 or 7 Blue-winged Teal. The only shorebird was a lone Spotted
Sandpiper.

Daniel Estabrooks