[TN-Bird] Poole Knobs - Ruddy Ducks, etc.

  • From: "Daniel B. Estabrooks" <dbe2g@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 21:28:36 +0000

Poole Knobs Recreation Area
Rutherford County
3/29/13

I spent a couple hours up at Poole Knobs this afternoon, checking out the boat
ramp area, campground, and an area I call Scaup Cove that's directly across the
lake from the Stewart Creek boat ramp. I was primarily searching for some
Red-breasted Mergansers that Scott Somershoe reported yesterday, but they were
nowhere to be found. In their place, I had a few other good things though:

56 Ruddy Ducks (Scaup Cove)
85 Common Loons (campground, boat ramp)
19 Horned Grebes (all three sites)
4 Lesser Scaup (boat ramp)
4 Buffleheads (campground)
1 Herring Gull (campground)

Most of the loons were in breeding plumage, as were a couple of the Horned
Grebes. Lots of Bonaparte's Gulls present at all three sites, in various states
of molt. One individual had an almost-complete black head.

Daniel Estabrooks