[TN-Bird] Pool 1, Duck River Unit, TNWR

  • From: birdchaserrws <birdchaserrws@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 06:27:36 -0500

    July 30th 2015
    Alan Troyer and I took kayaks back to Pool 1 to check what the cold front
and the lower water levels brought in.
  The White Pelicans still number about 125, but they were resting closer to
the pump station on new mudflats.
  The gulls and terns were still at their previous location, well out of view
from anywhere. (Unless you have a kayak) Much higher numbers now however, with
twenty-some Ringbills and over 40 Caspians coming and going at all times.
   9 Black Terns were also resting among the  CATEs, but no sign of the
Forster's that were here on Sunday.
  The bonus gull for the day was a handsome young LAUGHING GULL that came in to
join the other gulls after we had been there for an hour. No sooner had he
settled in to rest,  than along came an adult Bald Eagle and flushed
everything, and the bird didn't come back.
  An adult, breeding plumaged AMERICAN AVOCET did come back and stayed around
all evening, resting and feeding along side the gulls and terns.
  Shorebird variety was down slightly with only 10 species present but habitat
was awesome, and numbers were up a little.
  Two species new for the season were  Semipalmated Plover, 7, and the
previously mentioned AMAV. They would be  shorebird #16 and #17 for me for the
month.
  Ruben Stoll, Centerville TN.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless smartphone