[TN-Bird] Plegadis Ibis in Gibson County!

  • From: mgreene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 08:45:48 -0500

Yesterday evening I was standing out in my yard watching the Purple
Martins feed when I noticed 7 large dark birds high above me flying due
north.  I noticed that the were wading type birds and were not Great Blue
Herons so I ran to my truck and grabbed my binoculars.  As I looked
through my binoculars I immediately noticed that these birds were dark
Plegadisibises.  I could see their completely dark plumage, extended necks, and
long, decurved bills.  Due to the low light, distance, and brevity of the
sighting I was unable to determine whether these were Glossy Ibis or
White-faced Ibis.
This was about a week earlier than the earliest Tennessee sighting for
either of the these two species that I could find. The previous early
record was of 10 Glossy Ibis at Reelfoot NWR on 15 April 1945.

Look up - you never know what could be flying over.  Two years ago I in
the fall I had Wood Storks flying over my house.

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN
Gibson County