[TN-Bird] Re: Pits at Ensley Bottoms, American Avocet X 2

  • From: Lyda Phillips <lydap@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 19:43:37 -0500

Made my first trip to Ensley Bottoms today. Was on both sides of Riverport Road
for about two hours this afternoon. I will hit President's Island, Mud Island
and maybe Shelby Forest tomorrow. I grew up in Memphis and learned to drive
hauling my birder parents around president's island, where they would lean out
the window with binoculars and shout "STOP" every few feet. I am really looking
forward to that trip down Memory Lane. I haven't been back there since high
school.

Saw the Avocet, just one, in the same pond everyone else has mentioned with the
Black=necked stilts and the Black-bellied whistling ducks. Same drill with the
Red=tail flyover scattering the little 'uns. It was late afternoon, back lit
and I am not good with peeps, but I ID'd Pectoral sandpipers and western
sandpipers from the flash of white. I thought I saw a Greater Yellowlegs, but
can't be sure.

On the TVA lake I saw 8 Caspian Terns on a sand/mud bar along with:
Great-Blue Heron 2
Black-necked stilt 2 adult, 2 juvenile
Canada geese 31
starlings, too many to count