[TN-Bird] Pileated Woodpecker Family

  • From: viclcsw@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 15:14:45 -0500 (EST)

I observed a family of four pileated woodpeckers foraging in my yard yesterday
for about thirty minutes (4-4:30), a pair of adults and two sub-adults or
juveniles, one male and one female.  It is not easy to keep up with four birds
and insure you aren't seeing the same bird twice while they switch from tree to
tree, but because they were split, two east of where I stood, and two to the
west I could count them from sight and the sounds of bills hammering trunks.
This is earlier in March than last year's sighting of an adult pair with one
female off-spring.

The whimpering call that is familiar when a young bird is with its parent or
sometimes when the pair are together, caused me to pick up my camera and go out
to search for them.  The photos made it easy to distinguish the individuals,
even though their plumage is essentially the same except for the male's red
mustache stripe.  A fun and lingering encounter.  Photos are posted on my blog.

http://vickiehenderson.blogspot.com/

Vickie

Vickie Henderson
Knox County