[TN-Bird] Re: Pileated Family Groups

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxx>
  • To: John Devereux Joslin <jdjoslin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 15:29:13 -0500 (EST)

Yeah, Dev.  What's your secret?

I bought the big fancy suet feeder with the tailprop like the one
that the Pileateds visit on the Wild Birds Unlimited feedercam
and hung it from a pole in the backyard with the rest of the
feeders just like on the feedercam.  I got Red-bellieds, Downys,
titmice, chickadees, WB Nuthatches, even Myrtle Warblers and had
an Eastern Bluebird trying to check it out yesterday but no
Pileateds.

I'm using the P&S Peanut Delight (think that's the right name)
that Daniel Schilling (Beth Schilling's son) recommended based
on the Pileated WP taste test he conducted in their backyard
(that is to say, he tried different suets to see which the
Pileateds liked best as opposed to seeing what a Pileated WP
taste likes... probably chicken with a hint of hickory... or
oak or maple or whatever tree they've been hammerin' on).
Still no Pileateds.

I took one of those little green wire baskets (much less
expensive than the other feeder) and nailed it to a tree
(a hickory incidently).  That brought in the Yellow-bellied
Sapsuckers and 2 Brown Creepers (Woohoo!) but still no Pileateds.
Though, with the Brown Creepers, I wasn't too upset about it...
until the squirrels showed up.

Are they mad because I keep calling them PIE-leated instead
of Pill-E-ated?  Is this just a conspiracy between them, the
Hairy Woodpeckers and the Yellow-shafted Flickers that inhabit
the woods behind my house to torture me by not accepting my
suet?

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN