[TN-Bird] Philippines next April?

  • From: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 05:34:31 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Ben King describes the Philippines as the most endangered environment in the
world, and my birding experience there tends to bear that out. However, with
the right guide taking you to the right places the birding can be superb,
presenting you with species that may be gone in a decade. The question is how
can you afford it?
I will be returning to Mindanao for a family visit in April 2007 and will be
setting up two trips with Tim Fisher, co-author of Birds of the Philippines.
One will be to Mt. Kitanglad in Northern Mindanao with the prime targets being
the endangered Philippine Eagle and the newly discovered Bukhidnon Woodcock.
The other site will be the Picop paper plantation on the east coast of Mindanao
for a variety of lowland and water birds. This is an environment that is in the
process of being cut and will only exist for about 5 more years. Silvery
Kingfisher is common here.
While Abu Seyef guerillas are active in Western Mindanao from General Santos
(where my brother-in-law in the Philippine Army is fighting them) and Zamboanga
west into the Sulu Archipeligo, Davao where we will be based, is the safest
city in the Philippines and our birding areas are far from the conflict areas.
Mindanao is the biggest island in the Philippines. We will have a stiff hike to
reach our base on Mt. Kitanglad, but mules are available to carry baggage.
I invite other birders to join me and share expenses for this trip. Depending
on how much of the Philippines you do, it should take 2-3 weeks. Since you
would land initially in Manilla I would recommend 2 days of birding there and
another two days in Cebu on the way to Davao. Most Tennessee cities are will
connected with Northwest Airlines, which has direct service to Manilla out of
Detroit.
We will probably be visiting family in the Philippines on an annual basis.
April is the best time insofar as bird activity and fewer seasonal rains. In
the future I also hope to do side trips to Malaysia and the safer areas of
Indonesia, so if this is not for you this year but is on your someday list, I
recommend getting in touch with me.
James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES