[TN-Bird] Peregrine VS white rock pigeon

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 17:16:19 EDT

Hi TN-Birders,

While doing some rote work at the kitchen sink and watching out the window
here in the Charlotte Park area of West Nashville, Davidson County, just east
of
the Cumberland River, I saw the "albino" rock pigeon fly from behind some
trees with a "speeding bullet" gaining on it FAAAAST!  The peregrine caught up
the bird, went for it, hit it, & it veered.  In short, the peregrine hit it
but didn't get it!  This happened at about 2:30 PM.  This is the first
peregrine I've seen here in quite a while.  They used to frequent the place on
regular basis.

Earlier, I'd been grocery shopping as it is Senior citizens Wednesday at
Kroger!  When I arrived home about 9:15 AM, my immature Cooper's hawk was
perched
in a pine tree in my back yard dining on dove.  The hawk was just finishing up
its meal and flew off in an easterly direction very shortly thereafter.

Cheers & prayers,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN