[TN-Bird] Panther Creek SP - Jefferson Co.

  • From: "Kirk Huffstater" <kirkh_cg@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 17:45:28 -0500

My son and I took a short, 45 minute birding walk around Panther Creek State
Park in Jefferson County this afternoon, where it was quite brisk at only about
32 degrees with 10-15mph winds.  Our 38 species encompassed many of the usual
suspects for this time of year in the park, including 1 surprise and the
following highlights:

*** A group of at least 3 Fox Sparrows were a surprise just west of and behind
the swimming pool (I suspect there were more than 3)
*** A pair of male Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers were showing off their handsome,
bright plumages in the sun
*** 3 separate Winter Wrens were quite friendly in the creek below the pool
*** Several Yellow-rumped Warblers were in the treetops, braving the higher
winds up there
*** 3 soaring Black Vultures were beautifully lit in the late afternoon sun

It was a beautiful, albeit chilly afternoon to be out there!

On a separate topic, I’m interested in getting out birding more and meeting
more of the birders around east Tennessee!!!  Please feel free to email or call
me at anytime if you’d like to do some birding, or even just suggest some good
locations for me to explore.  I’ve lived outside Morristown for about a year
now, so I’m still learning the area; I spent the previous 27 years in Colorado,
so if there’s anything you’d like to know about birding in Colorado, or the
state in general, just ask!  I’m an avid/experienced birder and wildlife
photographer, and I enjoy everything from short, easy walks or scouring a lake,
to long grueling hikes and climbs to experience anything nature has to offer.
I hope to meet many more of you soon!

Good Birding,

Kirk Huffstater

Morristown, TN