[TN-Bird] Panama Field Trip in June

  • From: jpmoyle18@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 10:51:39 -0500

Hello, TN birders!  We are now in the new year, and it is time to focus on an
exciting expedition for 2010!  In December I sent out a partial bird list of
anticipated birds for the Bristol Bird Club trip to Panama.   Included in this
note is a list of possible mammals sitings in Panama and my own background as
trip leader and organizer.  In addition to me, there will be an outstanding
naturalist from Panama accompanying the group.  The trip has been organized by
Caligo Ventures in Key West.
Mammals:  10 species of opposum, including Woolly, Water Murine and Mouse
Opossums.
                 Silky Anteater
                 2 species of sloth
                 2 species of armadillo
                 50+ species of bat including 3 vampires, 2 Tent Making, Fish
Eating, 5 fruit eating and 3 Mastiff Bats
                 Geoffrey's Tamarin
                 Owl, White-fronted Capuchin and Mantled Howler Monkey
                 Central American Spider Monkey
                 Bush Dog
                 Andean Bear
                 Crab-eating and Northern Raccoon
                 White-nosed Coati
                 2 Olingos
                 Kinkajou
                 Cacomistle
                 Long-tailed Weasel, Grison, Tayra, Striped Hog-nosed Skunk
                 Neotropical Otter
                 Ocelot, Margay, Oncilla, Jaguarundi, Puma, Jaguar
                 Baird's Tapir
                 Collared Peccary, White-lipped Peccary
                 Red-brocket Deer, Gray-brocket Deer, White-tailed Deer
                 Red-tailed, Western Dwarf and Central American Dwarf Squirrel
                 3 Middle American Pocket Gophers
                 Many species of rats and mice including: Central American
Water Mice, Climbing Rats, and Isthmus Rats
                 3 species of porcupine
                 Capybara, Paca, Central American Agouti, Spiny Rats, Armored
Rat and Rufous Tree Rat
                 Tapiti or Brazilian Rabbit
All this in addition to over 900 species of birds and fascinating insects
including Leaf-cutting and Army Ants, fabulous butterflies and great reptiles
and amphibians!

As for my background:  I have my BA from Brown University and my MA and EdD
from Columbia University.  I grew up in NY and moved to TN five years ago.
While in New York, I was 3 time president of the Bronx River- Sound Shore
Audubon Society and field trip leader for over 30 years.  This included 8
safaris to East Africa, a field trip to Jamaica, and leading Tropical Ecology
Seminars in Trinidad and Tobago for 7 years.  I have been on the Board of
Management of the Asa Wright Nature Centre in Trinidad for 30 years and was a
Member of the Audubon Council of New York State.  Here in TN, I have been a
member of the Bristol Bird Club for 5 years and Vice-president in charge of
field trips for 2008 and 2009 including BBC trips to Trinidad and Tobago and
Ecuador (attended by several TOS,
non-BBC, members).  My US bird list is 614 species and my World List is about
1700.  I am not trying to "toot" my horn, but to give you some notion of who is
organizing this trip.  The total cost of the trip is $1995 not including air.
Since people will be coming from various locations, it is easier to arrange for
your own air...plus, you can get miles that way!  If you have any additional
questions or wish a Panama trip brochure, send me an email or call me at
423-349-6440.  Love to have you join us!  It will be a great trip.    John
Moyle

                       MAP RESOURCES