[TN-Bird] Owl & hawk sightings

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 09:57:27 EST

Last night at approximately 7:30, I was sitting at a meeting/reception in the
Belle Meade Room on the sixth floor of the Hampton Inn--Green Hills which is
a glass enclosure overlooking the OLD Green Hills Library and the Regal
Theater complex on the edge of the Green Hills Mall.  An owl, which I believe
have been a great horned, flew languidly past the glass wall on the Regal
Theater
side of the building heading toward Hillsboro Road assumably on a hunting
spree.  It was coming from the direction of a Green Hills residential area
where
there are plenty of trees that might provide a home for an owl.  It was
exciting to see him as he flew alongside the building in the beam of one of the
rooftop security lights to the safety of the dark beyond.  This is the same
room
where I had crows imaging and pecking on the roof last month when I was there
for a daytime meeting, and our speaker had to compete with the loud knocking of
the crows beaks on the rooftop glass.

Just a few moments ago, I went out on the deck to feed the juncos.  I heard
one of my bossy mocks raising a big fuss and looked over to see it chasing an
immature red-shouldered hawk, a first for my property!  It was flying fairly
low over the yard, so I had a really good view as it flew from reasonably close
proximity on over the rooftops across the street with "The Boss" on its tail
all the way.  I've seen red-shouldereds in Bell's Bend about a mile across the
river from my house, but I've never seen one here before.  With the scads of
squirrels and multiple mice that come to eat my bird seed, it has found a
fruitful hunting area, and I welcome it even if "Bossy Mock" isn't too pleased
with
its presence.  Gradually, I am building up a pretty respectable list of birds
for my neighborhood location.

Last of all, yesterday, I had a "robin with an attitude."  It seemed to have
a gripe with one of the juncos that was feeding on the seed on the deck.  The
robin, who didn't want to eat the seed, repeatedly and fiercely chased that
same junco off the deck away from the food.  It appeared to be hate
"robinified"
that just would not be quelled until the junco was gone.  After the
attitudinal robin left, about twelve juncos came to feed hungrily on what I had
provided for them.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN     (near the old Cleece's Ferry Landing on the Cumberland in
Charlotte
                           Park)