[TN-Bird] Overbridge SNA - possibly Broad-wings breeding (ID help???)

  • From: Daniel Estabrooks <hyla514@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 17:44:11 -0700 (PDT)

Overbridge State Natural Area
Rutherford County
June 24, 2012

I followed what sounded like a Broad-winged Hawk call into the forest at
Overbridge SNA (on Cranor Rd.) and got very close to it (couldn't have been
more than two or three trees away from me), but I was never able to locate the
bird before it stopped calling. The call sounded like the typical two-note
whistle of a Broad-wing, except the second note rose in pitch. The calls were
variable, with some of them being very strongly upslurred (comparable to a
pewee call) and others being flatter, but all of them rose at least a little
bit. The bird also gave a couple of wheezy Buteo-like yelps at one point. In
the process of searching, I also located what appeared to possibly be an old
nest near where the calling was coming from. What was left of it was maybe
twice the size of a basketball, and there were clumps of nesting material
caught in several branch crotches below it.

I have very little experience with Broad-wings, so any insight would be helpful!

Also saw a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher on a wire at the corner of Cranor and Main.

Daniel Estabrooks