[TN-Bird] Osprey in GRSMNP

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:31:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

Last week a co-worker told me she had seen an Osprey on the Middle
Prong of the Little River in Great Smoky Mountains National Park
(Blount County).  And I was jealous.

Today I was lucky enough to see one near Metcalf Bottoms, on the
main, or East Prong of the Little River. This is pretty close to the
Sevier/Blount County Line, but I believe it was on the Sevier side.
I'm guessing it was a male due to the smallish size and more
completely dark breast band - but I'm out of shape in that stuff from
my days banding chicks on the Chesapeake.  The wings were all dark,
indicating (I believe) an after first year bird (or adult, as
"normal" people would say.)

Today I assisted a 12 year-old boy, who uses a walker, up to Laurel
Falls, along with his mom and a friend.  Safety prevented me from
looking up too much, but I heard lots of migrants and saw a fair
number of warblers, the vast majority of which went unidentified.  I
did have a good number of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, however.

Good birding!  maybe I'll see some of you Saturday at the meeting?
And if anyone has enough floor space for my sleeping bag friday
and/or Saturday night, I'd really appreciate it...

Charlie

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Now living in Maryville, TN
Still working in Great Smoky Mountains
National Park

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"
Ralph Waldo Emerson