[TN-Bird] Operation Migration - Whooping Cranes

  • From: Irene Janssen <irenejjanssen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: irenejjanssen@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 12:52:47 -0800 (PST)

Hello Birders!

  In this season of the Christmas Bird Counts, I have a great idea for gifts
for your friends and family that can help the endangered Whooping Cranes:

  Many of you have probably heard that the Operation Migration team has made it
from the Necedah National Wildlife Refuge here in Wisconsin to their final
destination in sunny Florida, passing through many states in between with the
2005 class of juvenile Whooping Cranes. It sounds like all their wonderful
supporters in Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and
Florida, as well as many other states, made this another year full of
hospitality and generous support. I got the chance to watch them fly over
Wisconsin this year, and it's really quite something.

  As many of you know, this has been a tough year for the Operation Migration
team. I recently learned from my good friend that they experienced an
unfortunate vehicular accident at the hands of a careless driver in Tennessee,
which has cost them nearly $20,000. By all of the reports I have read, this has
already been such a difficult fundraising year for them, so they are in need of
out generous support as well in this time of need. They just do such an
outstanding job, it really pains me to see such a tragedy happen to such good
people (and good cranes!).

  I noticed on their web page that they offer the option to purchase gift
memberships, which would make a wonderful gift for the holidays, and would
really help out this amazing organization at the same time. I know I?ll be
purchasing one or two (I hope my husband doesn?t read this :). What better gift
than to help restore the magnificent Whooping Crane to our states?

  May you all have a blessed holiday season (and great birding!),

  Irene Janssen
  Wauwatosa, WI (& Atlanta, GA)