[TN-Bird] Old Hickory Lake (Drake's Creek) - Common Goldeneye

  • From: "" <ms722@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:30:17 -0500 (EST)

 I made a stop by Drake's Creek in Hendersonville on the way home from work
today, and found 8 COMMON GOLDENEYE (2 males, 6 females).   Also present were 3
Hooded Merganser, 2 Ruddy Ducks, and a lone Lesser Scaup.Directions:  From Hwy
31 in Hendersonville turn south (the only way you can turn) onto Sanders Ferry
Rd.  After exactly .65 mile there is a small parking area on the left with a
boat ramp.  Look for the truck trailer carrying a construction barge (you can't
miss it!).  The birds were swimming approx. 150 yards offshore just south of
the parking area.  I also was able to observe the birds from Mallard Point
Park, which is another .5 mile down Sanders Ferry Rd.The large farm pond near
my house continues to be very productive as well.  Seen here were:38 Lesser
Scaup29 REDHEAD3 Hooded Merganser4 Gadwall3 Mallards plus 2 bonus FEMALE
GOLDENEYE  (I sure wasn't expecting them on a farm pond!...they must really be
moving through right now)Michael Smith Gallatin, TN